5 Foods to Avoid for Those Killer Abs You are Dreaming of.
on 14 Jan 2019 / by Shay / in Fitness , Tips
We want to start this out by saying that every body is different. What works for you may not work for the next person, allergies, fitness levels and goals all effect what you put in your body. At the end of the day what we feed ourselves is our fuel. You can choose to put premium or regular levels in it.
THAT being said, there are certain foods you always want to limit consumption on for overall health and weight loss.
Let’s dive right in.
1) Alcohol – not only does this cause some poor life decisions but it also has roughly 7 calories per gram. WOOF. While your body is working on breaking down those calories you are not burning the fat that you wish to. After a night of drinking it’s not unheard of to finish off the night with 1500 calories like a bag of chips, a pizza, and some candies.
The after effects of alcohol also limit your ability to workout the next day. Your body is still struggling to get rid of those calories and not to mention, you aren’t supposed to work out when you are hung over anyways, because you will pull water (that is much needed for recovery) from your muscles.
Do yourself a favor limit or avoid alcohol on your path to abs and your overall future health.
2) Processed cheese and “fake” dairy products – there’s something good to say about healthy and organic cheese and dairy, however it’s the direct inverse when heavily processed. These lack nutritional value, contains salts, fats, and way too many calories for your body. You do not need to overload your intestines with salts before a work out. Heavily processed dairy will leave you feeling sluggish and unmotivated which makes working out a chore. When working out is a chore chances are you won’t do it, and when you don’t do it, your body will create more fat. Fat that will show on your abs before anywhere else.
3) Fast Food- We really shouldn’t have to say this.. but here we are. Fast foods are full of sugars, processed carbohydrates and everything you could possibly think of that leads to a bloated stomach, backed up intestinal tract, and a bigger gut. This food has also been correlated to lower energy levels and therefore creates a spiral of fat and sugar dependence and lower training results. All in all.. if you are going to cut out one thing in general.. cut out fast foods. All of them.
Yes, subway counts.
4) “Healthy Looking Foods” – Know the science behind sugars, carbs and proteins, and understand what they do in your body, because even though things may look healthy they may in reality be the opposite. Some protein bars have more sugars and carbohydrates than protein, which makes them useless in your ab journey. Too many fruits, or blending your fruits causes sugar spikes in your blood stream and forces your body to deal with that than to stay in a fat burning zone.
5) Sugar. This is another one of those that we all know is bad, but those cookies taste so good. Once you’ve cut out excess sugars there are more sneaky high sugary foods you should be aware of. Foods like salad dressings, tomato sauce, canned soup, dried fruit (especially mango’s watch out for added sugar) granola bars, and of course ice cream. In general sugar is bad for your body, and really, you don’t need it. Get the glucose from some fresh berries instead. Your abs will thank us.
All in all, it’s pretty easy to eat the right amount of food in order to get those abs showing through, it’s harder to continue on that journey. It’s always a work in progress, don’t give up on yourself, and don’t entirely cut out anything. Slowly work your way to your goals. Give you and your body time to adjust to your new lifestyle and keep at it. Those abs will show up! We promise!