Benefits of HIIT / Why it’s So Important
on 11 Mar 2019 / by Shay / in Uncategorized
HIIT, or high-intensity interval training, is a training technique in which you give all-out, one hundred percent effort through quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short, sometimes active, recovery periods. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time
HIIT isn’t another “fad” or a get in shape quick fix.
It’s actually a way to work your body just has hard, but quicker. It’s a way to make your work outs shorter but more effective. Think about running on a treadmill for 30 minutes, or doing a 5 minute HIIT/cardio workout.
Okay, we get it.. cardio sucks.. but less cardio can’t exactly count as a benefit when it comes to HIIT workouts. So here are other ones, and why you should give it a try.
- Your Metabolic Rate is Higher for hours after a HIIT Program. Not only does your body metabolize fat for fuel during the workout, during the post-exercise recovery period after HIIT exercise the body will tap into fat stores for your energy needed for the rest of your day. Yes.. that means you will still be burning fat while you are sitting on the couch.
- HIIT can improve oxygen consumption even if you only workout half as long. Your body uses oxygen to process fats, and create muscle mass. The more oxygen you have in your body the better your body will be at being active, healthy, and looking toned. A study found that eight weeks of exercising on the stationary bike using traditional exercise or HIIT increased oxygen consumption by about 25%.
- It can help you lose fat. Because of the above 2 ideas your body turns into a fat burning machine.
- Recovery time. HIIT produces a high about of metabolic waste and lactic acid. By training with HIIT you are training your body to better work and even thrive under extreme pressure.
- You have to “workout” less. Yup, that’s right, it’s like ripping the bandaid off. Commit to 20-30 minutes of HIIT training and say goodbye to hour or two hour long classes.
Moral of the story, if you haven’t tried a HIIT Class yet.. you most likely should.. honestly, what do you have to lose?
Follow our Work Out Wednesday Series for all the goodness concerning fitness.